Sunday 5 October 2014

First idea - Music

For my first idea I have chosen to focus on the genre of music to create a magazine cover whilst showing reflections within the lighting in the photograph. 



An example of a magazine this idea could be used for would be a festival magazine. I have found an example of a festival magazine, The festival guide, which matches well with my idea and shows that my idea could work well with a festival magazine.











On the internet I have found a range of different photographs relevant to the genre of recording and performing and enjoying. I have chosen these images because they have a good representation of this in many different ways such as the image of the man in the chair represents him being blown away by the music which I feel is a brilliant image and a brilliant representation and I really enjoy this image. I have also found other images such as photographs of musical equipment, microphones and guitars which are objects that are used whilst making and performing music. Although all of these images are a good representation of music and I enjoy them all, my favourites of these images are the images of live concerts, I like these images because they are showing a lot of people coming together to watch one or a range of different artists perform their music and all enjoying it together. The lighting's in all of these images have a big effect and I feel make the images look more appealing and show reflection, I like the way in all of these images everyone has their hands in the air and the way these photographers have caught this has a happy effect in these photographs because it shows everyone is enjoying themselves. Lastly in the third of images the way this photographer has caught the smoke coming out from the stage gives it a better effect and bring something different to the image and also is showing people holding and wearing glow sticks brings colour to this image, these two effects are the things that attracted me to this image and made me want to use it as an example.











Nick Pickles
Nick pickles is a London based photographer who covers gigs, festivals and events. He has been commissioned by companies such as Red Bull, The BBC, EMI, Disney, The Fly and many more. He is also currently working as the house music photographer at Wembley Arena and has previously worked on many other festivals. Nick Pickles style of photography is mainly based on photographing concerts and festivals which includes capturing a wide range of artists in the action of performing from many different angles and distances to create different styles of in concert photography and also photographs portraits of bands, his work has been used for artwork and marketing materials for private exhibitions.



This is the image I am choosing for as my main inspiration of this photographers work, my interpretation of this photograph is an artist in a dark room performing their song that means something to them, I enjoy this image because it is very dark and mysterious and he looks very deep into the song and in this image his hand body language and facial expressions shows that it means something to him. I think that I will enjoy attempting to re create this image and will try to get it as similar to this image as I can. 

Intentions
My aim is to create a piece inspired by Nick Pickles using this particular image I have chosen as my main inspiration, I will attempt to do this by going into the studio and using low key lighting as that is what is used in this image of Nick Pickles work. I will experiment with different exposures and re positioning the flash and the person I will be photographing, using reflection within the lighting, but instead of photographing landscape it will be photographing portrait so it is able to fit onto a magazine cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment